THE VILLAGE HALL

 A Management Committee has been running Salt Village Hall since 1927.  A paper in the church records states that on 2nd February 1927 the Earl of Shrewsbury gave notice that he would donate a piece of ground for the erection of a village hall. The hall was “to be administered by a Parish Hall committee comprised of the Vicar, one member of the Parochial Church Council and four parishioners of Salt”.
The hall was intended for the villages of both Hopton and Salt so the four parishioners would be chosen from the ecclesiastical parish of St James Salt, which included Salt, Enson, Hopton, Sandon Bank and Weston Bank.
A barracks hut from a former military training camp on Cannock Chase was dismantled and re-erected as a Parish Hall in Salt village. Several other Staffordshire villages purchased similar huts for the same purpose. The one in Salt came into use in May1927. Prior to alterations in 1999, the main entrance faced the road with two or three steps leading to it. Parking would not be a problem in the early years – just somewhere to lean a bicycle. The gents' toilets were outside, behind the building. My first memory of the hall was of it being heated by two enormous cast iron solid fuel stoves which, when lit, eventually gave out a powerful heat.
The opening of the village hall would make life easier for the school staff. Having to reorganise the main classroom for dances and whist drives must have caused disruption.
The Staffordshire Advertiser reported on a dance held in the hall on Tuesday, May 8th 1943. A band from R.A.F. played and approximately 200 attended. They must have had to take turns in dancing. The proceeds which amounted to £20 were for comforts for local servicemen and the R.A.F Benevolent Fund.
In its early days the hall was known locally as “the Institute“. Rev. Knight, the vicar from 1930 to 1951, formed the Salt Amateur Players and many plays were produced. For example in 1932 they performed a play called “Abbey Treasure” and the next year they presented "The Magic Goblet”. An enthusiastic Music Hall Society was formed which resulted in excellent shows during 1970s and 1980s. Villagers of Salt and Hopton worked together to organise annual fetes either in the Vicarage garden or in a local field.
The money raised was divided between Salt and Hopton churches and the Village Hall at Salt. This continued until Hopton had their own village hall. A change in the constitution of Salt Village Hall circa 1975 meant that the vicar no longer had to be on the committee.
The church and all other associations who use the hall are required to nominate one representative to serve on the management committee

Compiled by Stella Millman


The Village Hall Prior to Redevelopment in 1999

   

   

 



After Redevelopment in 1999